Thursday, November 27, 2008

It all started with this ...

I have so much to be thankful for. Life, liberty and not just the pursuit of happiness....I am actually happy, very happy. Since this is my photo blog, I need to take time out to thank Nika, Landi (and Heidi for that matter) for all the photography encouragement and accolades and advertisement. I am more grateful than I can adequately express.

It all started when Nika was pregnant, she wanted me to do photos of her and I relunctantly obliged. I did the pictures but I was not at all happy with them but made the best of the situation. It's not like you can re-create those moments. A woman is only full and pregnant for a short time. I think Nika liked the pictures anyway but I wasn't in love with them. That was about 1.5 years ago.

Fast forward to Spring 2008, Landi had a mishap and her scheduled photographer had to cancel at the last minute. She was full and pregnant and needed to have her pictures taken ASAP. Well, I hadn't taken photos in a looooooong while. Honestly, I had a point and shoot that we bought when our son was born but hadn't even bothered to think about getting a DSLR. Real photography was for people who had more time and I was too busy to invest in photography equipment that would hardly ever get used. But Landi insisted that I needed to take her pictures and so I literally dusted off my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000, bought some 400 speed film. I wasn't even sure that film was still sold and we went to the park to take pictures. I was N-E-R-V-O-U-S. I remember in the middle of the shoot stopping and saying a prayer and begging God to "Please make these pictures turn out ok." Remember this is a 35mm, so you don't see the results until after you go to the store and pick up the printed pictures. Who knows, by that time the baby could be here and the preggo moment gone, forever. If the pictures were to be any good, God would have to ensure that. I took pictures of the entire family for a couple hours, waited anxiously until they were transferred to CD, edited, did a slide show and these are the results.

That day, was transformative for me. My fire for photography was lit again. I've had some setbacks along the way but nothing has been able to quench my thirst to "capture the moment."

This was Landi's video. I love it and the song by Martina McBride is one of my favorites. It is especially meaningful to me on this Thanksgiving 2008 because, truly, I AM BLESSED.


3 comments:

Landi said...

well... I don't know what to say. My earliest memory of you is when we did a shoot with a bunch of ladies at the Ravinia Hotel at Perimeter. I remember you climbing down into a ditch to take our pic up on a bridge... and I remember saying to myself that "this chic is limping but she is climbing down into that thing.. she is truly crazy!" LOL...

When I saw the pictures - but not only pictures... when I saw your face light up in pride when you saw the end result of that day... I saw that spark. I realized at that point, that this was your thing! The next time I saw that expression on your face was when you became a Mommy. :) I know what your joy is... You know what your joy is.. I'm glad you've decided to do what takes your breath away.

I have a new photographer... I'm glad my previous photographer flaked out on me... not only do you capture the shot, but you do it with such heart, that it permeates every picture you take. You find that shot and that moment... I have a new photographer! :) Thank you for capturing our moments with such great finesse!

Piggsoppen said...

wery nice photography,s you take :)

Pru said...

Thanks Naudir

.