Friday, March 23, 2012

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound






On the 7th day of December 1928 a baby boy came into this world. His mother named him Kenneth Welward Codner. He, as history would have it, would be my grandfather.



I have some fond memories of having a grandfather who would give me special treats everytime I would visit. Every child deserves to have a doting and somewhat permissive grandparent....but shhhh, don't tell my parents I said that.

Every life has a story. It starts on the day we are born and ends on the day we die. Our tombstones will have two dates on it, but the essence of our lives; the happiness, the sorrows, the good times and the bad will all be captured by the dash. Those who knew him best says that he was a dichotomy of both good and not-so-good. He was both even-handed and fair yet strong-willed and rebellious. I, of course, only witnessed the peaceful, easy-going side. But I now know, more clearly than ever, that my grandfather has a dash that is full of lessons; things that he did, stories that he told, and stories about his life that are messages for those who carry on.


Perhaps the one that moves me the most happened at the very end of his life. He was terminally ill and one day while lying in his bed, in pain and much discomfort, he was humming. Colleen, who took great care of him, asked 'What are you humming, Granville?' [As Jamaicans would have it, he had a nick name, his was Granville.] He said, 'Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now I'm found was blind but now I see.'

I get all choked up every time I hear the song now because it has new meaning to me. You see my Grandfather didn't live a pristine life. He had some failures and shortcomings and paid a heavy price for some of his sins. Though he was raised by a devout Christian mother, he rejected religion for a long time. It was only a few years before he was terminally diagnosed that he renewed his spiritual commitment. So, as he sung this song, on what he knew was his death bed, it was personal. It wasn't just mere words, it was him expressing gratitude for God's Amazing Grace.





I miss my grandfather. But this last story, this last will and testament about God's Amazing Grace, will be one that repeatedly renews my faith walk.









[Yes, I do photograph funerals, they are a part of 'Capturing Life, One Click At A time. However, due to personal and sensitive nature of the occasion, I provide the files to the family. Some of my most emotive photos are from deeply personal and intense events like funerals]

If you choose to watch the video, here is some background. 
Our family owns many, many acres of land. There are three houses on the land where generations have lived. In this intimate setting is one of many family burial plots. My grandfather was buried next to his mother. The grave (and all the other labor required) is done, by hand, one shovel at a time. It's a final act of love. On the day of the burial, we all stay until it is just impossible to stay any longer. It is truly goodbye.




No comments:

.